Alabama Standoff Update: Authorities identify victim in school bus shooting; suspect remains in bunker
(CBS/AP) MIDLAND CITY, Ala. - Police have released the name of the school bus driver who was fatally shot by an unidentified gunman before the suspect kidnapped a 6-year-old child passenger and hid himself in an underground shelter Wednesday during an hours-long standoff with police, authorities said.
The Dale County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as 66-year-old Charles Poland Jr., who worked for the Dale County Board of Education since 2009. The shooting suspect boarded Poland's bus Tuesday afternoon and shot the driver when he refused to let the child off the bus.
Poland later died of multiple gunshot wounds.
Authorities said the shooter took the child off the bus.
About 50 vehicles from federal, state and local agencies were clustered early Wednesday at the mouth of a dirt road off a U.S. highway near where authorities believe the suspect is hiding in an underground shelter on his property.
"Authorities also confirmed the presence of a child at the scene but are giving no further information at this time," said spokeswoman Rachel David for the police department in the nearby city of Dothan, in a news release late Tuesday.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen