California mother, accomplice, accused of hiring hit man in plot to kill daughter's boyfriend
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - A California man and woman accused of hiring a hit man to kill the boyfriend of the woman's daughter were charged in federal court Monday, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Authorities said 45-year-old Adelina Cristobal and her accomplice, 34-year-old Antonio Quevedo, were charged in U.S. District Court in downtown Los Angeles with using interstate commerce facilities - a cellphone - to conduct transactions in the alleged murder-for-hire scheme. If convicted they both face a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.
Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives began their joint investigation with the Los Angeles Police Department on Jan. 22 after they received information that the pair "were attempting to solicit someone to commit a murder on their behalf," according to ATF Special Agent Christian Hoffman.
They were arrested Thursday after meeting with an ATF task force officer posing as a hit man, according to an affidavit. Cristobal allegedly offered the undercover officer $6,500 to make her daughter's boyfriend "disappear," CBS Los Angeles reports.
Cristobal reportedly wanted the man dead because "the victim owed her money and was romantically involved with her daughter." The man also allegedly threatened her husband.
Cristobal allegedly provided the officer with details on the intended victim, including a picture from her cellphone, and asked to be sent a picture "after it's done," according to CBS Los Angeles.
After the arrest, Cristobal reportedly told ATF agents that she never intended to have her daughter's boyfriend killed.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles