Ronald Gilbert Murder: Calif. doctor fatally shot in exam room, suspect in custody
(CBS/AP) NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - A California doctor was fatally shot Monday in an examination room of an Orange County medical office, and the man who police believe shot him was taken into custody in the same room without a struggle, authorities said.
The victim was identified as 52-year-old urologist Ronald Gilbert, who was shot multiple times in the upper chest and was pronounced dead at the scene, CBS Los Angeles reports. The suspect was reportedly a former patient of Gilbert's a few years ago.
Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe told The Associated Press that several 911 calls reported six or seven shots fired at the medical office near Hoag Hospital in Orange County.
Lowe said officers found a man dead from gunshot wounds in a patient examination room. Police took into custody another man in the room who they believe shot the victim.
No one else was injured or targeted, Lowe said.
"It does appear to be an isolated incident," she said.
Detectives were interviewing employees and patients in the building.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Ex-judge charged with stealing cocaine from cases