Jennalin Garcia-Calle, NJ teacher accused of having sex with underage student, arrested in Florida, report says
(CBS) - A New Jersey teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a student was captured Thursday night at a rehab center in South Florida, CBS New York reports.
U.S. Marshals arrested 28-year-old Jennalin Garcia-Calle after she checked herself into a rehab facility. She is charged with sexual assault after allegedly having sexual relations with a 16-year-old male student.
New Jersey prosecutors said Garcia-Calle had sex with the student several times on campus while teaching algebra at Plainfield High School, CBS Miami reports.
"It was after school, the door was locked, the window was blocked," Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow said. "The fact that someone would be that brazen to do this is very troubling."
Investigators said Garcia-Calle fled to South Florida last week after an arrest warrant was issued in her name. Detectives were able to track her down through her cell phone and text messages, according to CBS Miami.
"She had told either friends or associates that she was going to South Florida to get help," said U.S. Marshal's spokesperson Barry Golden. "Obviously Ms. Garcia-Calle was aware that these charges were forthcoming. She was aware that she was probably going to be in a lot of trouble and that's when she fled the New Jersey area."
Prosecutors also said Garcia-Calle reached out to the student before fleeing, asking him to get rid of evidence.
"He was under intense pressure by the teacher over the course of the weekend to eliminate some of the evidence which he did not do," Romankow said.
The sexual affair came to light when the boy told his parents, CBS New York reports. The Plainfield School District put Garcia-Calle on immediate administrative leave, pending the criminal investigation.
Garcia-Calle is now being held on $200,000 bail, according to CBS New York. She will have an extradition hearing on Monday and is expected to be extradited to New Jersey this week.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case