Ga. man allegedly hits 17 cars, kills one passenger, in one-night drunk-driving spree
Snider, 70, is accused of hitting five vehicles in DeKalb County and at least 12 vehicles in Gwinnett County on the night of Jan. 23. He also allegedly crashed into the entrance of a restaurant. The hit-and-runs finally came to an end after police say Snider crashed into Yeshihareg Abebe's 2000 Toyota Camry.
Abebe, 51, of Grayson, Ga., was driving along the highway when he was allegedly hit by Snider's pickup truck. The impact of the collision caused Abebe's car to become wedged under a tractor-trailer truck that was stopped to the left of it, CBS Atlanta reports.
According to the station, the passenger in Abebe's car, 69-year-old Mintiwab Woldeyhans, of Loganville, Ga., died on at the scene from her injuries. Abebe reportedly suffered severe injuries and was taken to an area hospital.
Snider also complained of injuries and was taken to the hospital.
When Snider was released from the hospital, he was taken to Gwinnett County Jail and charged with vehicular homicide, serious injury by vehicle, DUI, reckless driving, and following too closely. Additional charges are pending, according to the station.
Snider appeared in court Thursday morning, CBS Atlanta reports. He was not granted bond and is being held in a special area of the jail.
CBS Atlanta reports he has spoken with a counselor and is aware of what happened.
Snider is due back in court February 1.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen