Toddler used in home invasion robbery ruse, say Sacramento police
(CBS) SACRAMENTO - Police in Sacramento have arrested two women who were reportedly knocking on doors with a 2-year-old child in a plot to steal from homeowners, CBS Sacramento reported.
The first incident happened at about 4:30 p.m. Monday when the women knocked on a door and asked if the toddler could use the restroom. The two women opened the screen door and walked inside, brushing the homeowner to the side, police said. Then two men walked inside and started talking to the resident.
After the homeowner called for her son the suspects left, but she noticed money was missing from her purse, according to CBS Sacramento.
While officers were investigating, dispatch broadcast another similar call where two women and two men knocked on another door using a different approach, but also using the child as a decoy. That resident did not open the door and had a friend call police.
"You have to be so alert, not suspicious of everybody, but be alert," said Lydia Brummeier, whose friend alerted police. "That was very unusual," she told the station.
Officers responded and later found a suspect vehicle. The two women with the 2-year-old child were detained and positively identified as the perpetrators of the home invasion.
They were arrested and booked into the county jail. The two male suspects were still at large as of Tuesday morning.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase