Pa. kindergartner suspended for alleged "terroristic threat," attorney says
The girl, 5, who attends school in the Mount Carmel Area School District in Northumberland County, was waiting in line with friends on January 10 when according to her family's attorney, Robin Ficker, she said something to the effect of "I'm gonna shoot you, you can shoot me and we can all play together," CBS Philly reports.
Ficker says an adult overheard the comment, searched the student's backpack and did not find a weapon.
"She was referring to a Hello Kitty bubble gun," Ficker told the station.
According to Ficker, the next day the child was questioned by school administrators without a parent present and then given a letter of suspension for, "making a terroristic threat." He said the letter stated the child was not to be readmitted to school without a psychiatric evaluation.
The evaluation was ultimately obtained and revealed no abnormalities, Ficker says.
Ficker advised the child's family to go to the principal and request the girl's suspension be expunged from her record. CBS Philly reports the suspension was shortened from 10 days to two days, and the "making a terroristic threat" was changed to "threatening to harm another student."
The mother reportedly has been unable to transfer her daughter to another school because of the incident.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty