Alejandro Razo, Calif. nurse, accused of sex act on corpse
Officers were called to the hospital Sunday night, where security guards had the 61-year-old Razo in custody, LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman told the station.
"The call indicated that a deceased patient had somehow been violated by an employee of the hospital," Neiman said.
The Reseda, Calif. resident was placed under arrest on a state Health and Safety Code violation, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"It's a very sensitive case because you're dealing with somebody who is deceased, who's a loved one of somebody... so it's our job to fight back for them," Neiman said.
Committing an act of necrophilia wasn't deemed a crime in the state of California until 2004, but is now considered a felony. If convicted, Razo faces up to three years in prison, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Razo was released from jail on $20,000 bail. Attempts made by CBS Los Angeles to contact him were unsuccessful.
A longtime neighbor, who declined to be identified by the station, said Razo is a quiet man with a wife and two children.
Investigators are continuing to investigate. Lt. Neiman said.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead