Ore. cop jailed for shooting at sheriff's deputy, police say
Officer Timothy Cannon, with the Hillsboro Police Department, allegedly fired at a Washington County Sheriff's deputy who was responding to a domestic violence call Sunday at Cannon's home, CBS affiliate KOIN reported.
Sources said a 9-1-1 call was placed shortly after 8p.m. Sunday by someone alerting Forest Grove police that Cannon and his wife were involved in an altercation. A source with direct knowledge of the incident said Cannon's wife works for the Forest Grove Police Department as a civilian employee, according to KOIN.
When officers arrived at the home, they learned that the couple's 6-year-old girl was inside. Neighbors said the couple has a son who was not home at the time of the incident.
Officers attempted to talk with Cannon, sources said, but - at some point - shots were fired when several deputies entered the home.
Sources said Cannon suffered non-life threatening injuries. He was eventually booked into the Washington County Jail.
Sgt. David Thompson, a spokesman for the Washington County Sheriff's Office, said the injured deputy was treated and released from Legacy Emanuel Hospital following the shooting. The nature of the deputy's injuries, and how they came about, were not released.
Thompson would not release the name of the injured deputy. He also would not confirm if the gun used in the shooting was issued by the Hillsboro Police Department or if it was a privately owned firearm.
Sources confirmed Cannon did have access to an AR-15 rifle, but it was not clear if that weapon was used in the shooting. One neighbor reported hearing several bursts of gunfire and estimated there to have been 40 shots. Sheriff deputies have not confirmed that account.
Records show that the jailed officer, Cannon, was awarded the Oregon Peace Officers Association life-saving award in November 2012.
Cannon is 46 years old, and a 13-year veteran of Hillsboro's patrol division, Hillsboro police said.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web