"Bed Bath & Beyond" Attack: Suspect in New Jersey woman's stabbing previously accused of torturing cat
(CBS/WCBS) - Authorities say a 19-year-old man accused of repeatedly stabbing a New Jersey woman while she was shopping with her baby at a Bed Bath & Beyond store had previously been charged with torturing a cat, CBS New York reports.
The victim's family said 29-year-old Kerri Dalton had her infant child with her inside the Middletown, N.J., store. She was stabbed 20 times and was taken to Jersey Shore Medical Center, where she remained in stable condition late Thursday night, according to CBS New York.
"She's holding up, she's strong, she's a fighter, she's my best friend," the woman's husband, Roger Dalton, told CBS New York on Friday. "I want to thank everyone for keeping us in their prayers."
Tyrik Haynes was charged with attempted murder in the attack and is being held on $1 million bail.
Last month, the Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said Haynes was arrested for torching a cat in Middletown, CBS New York reports.
Monmouth County SPCA Chief Victor "Buddy" Amato told the Asbury Park Press Haynes took one of two cats he bought online, brought it out to the woods in a cat carrier and used matches and aerosol to set the carrier on fire.
Haynes faced up to six months in prison and a $1,000 for that crime, the Asbury Park Press reports. Since the animals body was found only recently, the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office will have to decide whether to upgrade the charges.
Haynes made his first court appearance in the stabbing case Friday afternoon, where a judge informed him of the charges against him.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer