California teen missing after video of brutal fight posted on Facebook
Baileigh Karam has not been seen or heard from by her mother since January 11, the day of the fight, CBS affiliate KFMB reports.
In the video, a group of students can be seen surrounding wo girls, recording the brawl on cell phone cameras, but nobody steps in to help or stop the punches.
"The other girl just punched her over and over and over, while my daughter was saying 'stop, stop.' And the crowd was egging it on," said Karen Karam.
According to the station, the mother says some students later posted videos of the fight on Facebook, where other teenagers made comments, many of them negative.
"It's a very ugly world sometimes on Facebook," Karam said, "I know my daughter's out there reading all of those comments. And I know she's heartbroken. And I know she's humiliated in front of her high school."
The missing teen's mother says her daughter may be traveling with another teen girl, KFMB reports. Karam says her daughter exchanged several text messages saying she wanted to be left alone by her mother and by Carlsbad Police, whose juvenile detective unit is investigating the fight.
Anyone with information on Baileigh's location is asked to contact Carlsbad Police.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender