Seven-year-old brought loaded gun to NYC school, police say
The Department of Education says the gun was found in the boy's backpack while he was attending Wave Preparatory Academy in Far Rockaway, CBS New York reports.
The school was placed on lockdown and the gun was confiscated by the school safety officer, officials reportedly said. The student's parents were also notified.
According to the New York Times, parents were given a notice that said: "Due to an incident today there was need to secure all students in their classrooms. This procedure is called a lockdown. Our school-based support team is prepared to assist you with any emotional needs as a result of today's lockdown."
There was no information on why the student had the weapon or how it was discovered.
The incident comes as the nation is gripped by debates over gun control and school security in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. where 20 children and six adults were killed by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot