Seven-year-old brought loaded gun to NYC school, police say
The Department of Education says the gun was found in the boy's backpack while he was attending Wave Preparatory Academy in Far Rockaway, CBS New York reports.
The school was placed on lockdown and the gun was confiscated by the school safety officer, officials reportedly said. The student's parents were also notified.
According to the New York Times, parents were given a notice that said: "Due to an incident today there was need to secure all students in their classrooms. This procedure is called a lockdown. Our school-based support team is prepared to assist you with any emotional needs as a result of today's lockdown."
There was no information on why the student had the weapon or how it was discovered.
The incident comes as the nation is gripped by debates over gun control and school security in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. where 20 children and six adults were killed by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles