Boy, 4, dies after being found alone, unconscious in Long Island apartment, police say
Suffolk County police were called to the scene just before 4p.m. Wednesday, and say the found the 4-year-old unconscious on the couch, according to the station.
Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick told CBS New York that there were no adults in the house when police arrived.
The boy was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center where attempts to resuscitate him failed and he was pronounced dead shortly before 6p.m., police say.
According to investigators, the boy's body was covered in bruises and he appeared to be a victim of domestic violence.
Police have not said who called 911. The boy's name also has not been released.
CBS New York spoke to Renard Swain who lives in the apartment next door in the same house. Swain told the station that the little boy lived there with an older sister - also a young child - and a couple who are not their biological parents.
Swain said he last saw them on Saturday.
"I didn't see them take out the kids or anything really," Swain said. "They were just quiet people."
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 631-852-6392 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths