Lirim Rufati accused of raping his wife, 22, and trying to make her leave the country
According to the publication, authorities say Rufati allegedly abused and raped his wife for about a year leading up to his arrest. He is also accused of driving his wife to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City Jan. 3 and attempting to force her to board a plane to her homeland of Macedonia.
Rufati reportedly watched to make sure his wife checked-in at the airport but once she was out of sight she was able to contact police, who arranged for her to be picked up by a friend and driven home.
The friend called 911 after the incident and told authorities that Rufati was attempting to force his wife to leave the country against her will.
Philly.com reports Rufati was arrested and charged with kidnapping to inflict injury or terror, false imprisonment, rape, deviate sexual intercourse and aggravated assault. His bail was set at $250,000.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case