Car-for-Crack: Texas man allegedly stole SUV, sold it for cocaine
(CBS/AP) AUSTIN, Texas - So what's the street value of a $40,000 SUV?
Police in Austin say Carlos Sergio Valdes traded one 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe for two rocks of crack cocaine.
They say the 50-year-old Valdez stole the car from a dealership and went on an unauthorized test drive Saturday where he made the car-for-crack trade.
Travis County Jail records show was being held Monday on a theft charge.
The Austin American-Statesman reports Valdes sought to test drive the SUV when he simply drove away without permission. An affidavit says Valdes called police nearly two hours later to claim the SUV had been stolen.
Later, police pulled over a woman driving the car, and she said Valdes had sold it to her for two rocks of crack.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles