Body parts discovered after Georgia man was shot, killed in police standoff, authorities say
Effingham County sheriff's officials said 34-year-old Chad Moretz grabbed an assault weapon and took his wife hostage when officers arrived at the residence. He was killed in the standoff after she escaped.
The remains were discovered in the residence after Moretz was shot and killed, authorities said Sunday. More remains were found in a storage unit in Jasper County, S.C.
Investigators believe the remains were those of 35-year-old Charlie Ray, an acquaintance of Moretz, according to a sheriff's spokesman. Relatives reported Ray missing on New Year's Eve.
Authorities said investigators believe Moretz was responsible for Ray's death, and his wife and her brother are charged with concealing a death.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her