Alligator-like reptile found guarding marijuana stash dies in Calif. zoo, officials say
(CBS/AP) CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. - A 5-foot-long alligator-like reptile named "Mr. Teeth" discovered in a Northern California home apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has died Wednesday in a veterinary hospital, zoo officials said.
Oakland Zoo officials said the dwarf caiman, previously misidentified by authorities as an alligator, died a day after Alameda County Sheriff's found it during a probation check at a home in Castro Valley. Sgt. J.D. Nelson said the reptile was likely used to deter marijuana thieves.
The reptile arrived at the zoo "critically ill and nonresponsive," zoo spokeswoman Nicky Mora said.
Assif Mayer was arrested and jailed on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale after authorities found 34 pounds of marijuana worth $100,000 in his bedroom near the reptile tank. Mayar told deputies he got the creature to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
Police said Mayer also faces animal abuse charges for keeping the malnourished caiman in inadequate living conditions, the San Jose Mercury News reported. Fish and wildlife officials cited him with possession of a restricted-species live animal, a misdemeanor that carries a fine of as much as $3,000 and a year in jail, according to the newspaper.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot