SWAT team frees 14 hostages from store near LA airport, robbers flee
Police were also were trying to determine whether the suspects used a car found abandoned in neighboring Culver City as their getaway vehicle.
The incident at the Nordstrom Rack store near Los Angeles International Airport began at about 11 p.m. when a man called 911 and reported that his girlfriend had called him and said there were gunmen in the store, Lt. Andy Neiman said.
Police officers and special weapons team members swarmed the Promenade at Howard Hughes Center, an outdoor shopping center.
The officers saw a man leave the second-floor store but he ran back inside when they tried to contact him, Neiman said.
Moments later, another man came out with a woman, but when he saw the police he grabbed her and pushed her back inside, Neiman said.
SWAT members surrounded the location but weren't able to talk to anyone inside during the four-hour standoff.
When they finally burst into the store, they found hostages locked in a storage room and others in a bathroom, Neiman said.
The 13 women and one man were all believed to be employees because the store was closed when the robbery began, Neiman said.
One hostage was treated at the scene for a non-life threatening stab wound, Neiman said, and another had been sexually assaulted. Other workers complained of minor injuries, "probably because they'd been manhandled or pushed away by the assailants," the lieutenant said.
Officers searched the store to make sure nobody was hiding but didn't find the robbers, Neiman said.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"