Chris Rainey, arrested on battery charge, dismissed from NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers
(CBS) GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Pittsburgh Steeler rookie running back Chris Rainey was arrested Thursday morning by Gainesville, Fla. police and was charged with one count of simple battery, CBS Sports reports.
Shortly after the arrest, Steelers officials decided to dismiss Rainey from the team, CBS Pittsburgh reports.
Police responded to the scene around 8:30a.m. after receiving a call in which a witness reported that a man and woman were involved in a physical altercation, according to the Gainesville police department.
When police arrived, they identified 24-year-old Rainey. According to CBS Sports, witnesses told police the two were arguing over Rainey's cell phone, and when the female got in the vehicle of Rainey's roommate, Rainey allegedly began pulling her out and then slapped her across the face with an open hand.
According to CBS Pittsburgh, police say the woman involved in the altercation is Rainey's girlfriend of the last nine months.
The girlfriend was reportedly able to get away, but she was still carrying Rainey's phone in her bag. Rainey then caught up with her, grabbed the bag and the two fell, police say.
Neither one suffered visible injuries according to police.
Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert released a statement reading, "Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths