Missing Calif. teen Sarah Alarid found dead in canyon, near car
(CBS/KCBS) SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - A vigil was held Wednesday night for California teen Sarah Alarid, whose body was found that morning in a canyon in the Angeles National Forest, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Alarid, 19, had been missing since early New Year's Day, when friends saw her argue with her ex-boyfriend at a party in a Santa Clarita neighborhood, before taking off alone in a 2002 silver Ford Focus.
Authorities reportedly discovered the vehicle in a ravine off Sand Canyon Road, where it had plunged down a 350-foot drop. Shortly after, Alarid's body was found near the wreckage.
Alarid's uncle, who spoke to reporters at the scene, said the crash site was only about ten minutes from the party's location, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"She used to like to come up here and hang out 'cause my brother's fire station is right up there, above where the scene is and she could have gone up there just to hang out," Bryan Alarid said.
Toxicology reports will reportedly determine if alcohol was a factor in the crash. Foul play is not suspected.
Wednesday evening, Alarids' family and friends gathered for the vigil in Canyon County to mourn.
The teen's teary mother spoke to her daughter's friends and remembered her child. "We love you. We'll always love you. We'll never forget you."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide