Tulsa Apartment Deaths Update: Father copes with murder deaths of twin daughters in Oklahoma, report says
(CBS) An Oklahoma father is coming to grips with losing his twin daughters, who were found dead along with two other women in a Tulsa apartment on Monday afternoon, CBS affiliate KOTV reports.
Police said the bodies of 23-year-olds Rebeika Powell and Kayetie Melchor, 33-year-old Misty Nunley, and 55-year-old Julie Jackson were discovered within an hour of being killed in an apparent daylight shooting. A 3-year-old boy was also found unharmed as the only survivor.
"The little baby, you know, he had to sit there all day and look at what they did. How could you do something like that?" said Larry Powell, the twins' father.
According to KOTV, Melchor had a little girl and the surviving boy who was found with the bodies was Rebeika Powell's son. Police said he was taken into protective custody but released no other information.
"My life's gone. My kids are gone," Larry Powell said. "All I've got are my two little grand kids and what am I going to do? Their parents are gone. My granddaughter is going crazy over there right now."
KOTV reported that the victims were all mothers, including two of them being grandmothers. Nunley was staying with the twins and had two teenage daughters and two young grandchildren. Julie lived next door and had three children, five grandchildren and another grandchild on the way.
"It took a really, really, sick, cold person to do this," Larry Powell said. "There is nowhere that person can hide. Sooner or later, they're gonna get you."
Tulsa police spokesman Leland Ashley said Tuesday that detectives and officers were "beating the bushes" to figure out what happened at the apartment.
"Right now, we have no clear-cut suspect," Ashley said, urging anyone with information to come forward.
More on Crimesider
Jan. 9, 2013 - Tulsa Apartment Murders Update: Person of interest arrested in Kansas
Jan. 8, 2013 - Oklahoma Apartment Shooting Update: Twins, 23, among four women found shot to death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles