Labradoodle Looks Like a Lion: 911 calls released of Virginians mistaking dog for a lion cub
(CBS/WTVR/AP) VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Some residents of Virginia Beach got a scare Tuesday night, when they mistook a 3-year-old Labradoodle for a lion cub thanks to the animal's unusual haircut.
Daniel Painter's dog, "Charles the Monarch," so resembles the king of the jungle, police received a call Tuesday of a baby lion on the loose. Police contacted the nearby Norfolk Zoo to make sure their two lions were in their cages, which they were.
Newly released 911 tapes capture residents' surprise and confusion at seeing Charles, CBS affiliate WTVR reports.
"And there was a lion that ran across the street, a baby lion," one woman can be heard telling a 911 operator.
She adds: "It was about the size of a Labrador retriever."
"I saw a lion. A baby lion!" another man tells 911. "It had the mange [sic] and everything."
Because Painter and Charles live near the zoo, Painter says this isn't the first time people have been fooled by the pooch, the station reports.
"I've seen 'em literally dive through the window to get in the car thinking a lion is after them," he reportedly told CNN. "
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom