Faith Hedgepeth Update: Discovery of DNA prompts profile of UNC student's killer
Hedgepeth was found dead in her bedroom at her off-campus apartment in Chapel Hill on Sept. 7, 2012 only hours after she was last seen alive. Police said the 19-year-old and her roommate had gone to a local nightclub called The Thrill the previous night.
The FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit says they believe the killer knew Hedgepeth, possibly lived near her in the past, and may have made comments about her to close associates, WRAL reports. The killer's behavior may have changed after her death, such as an unusual interest in the case or a change in performance at work or school.
Investigators said the North Carolina State Crime Lab found DNA left in the apartment by an unidentified man, WRAL reports. They didn't disclose where the DNA was found, but they expressed confidence that it would lead them to Hedgepeth's killer.
According to WRAL, police have not named any suspects.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Chapel Hill Police Department tip line at 919-614-6363 or Crime Stoppers at 919-942-7515 or email information to investigators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More on Crimesider
September 26, 2012 - Faith Danielle Hedgepeth: Scholarship fundraiser being held in honor of slain UNC student
September 11, 2012 - Faith Hedgepeth, UNC student, found dead in her apartment
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom