Faith Hedgepeth Update: Discovery of DNA prompts profile of UNC student's killer
Hedgepeth was found dead in her bedroom at her off-campus apartment in Chapel Hill on Sept. 7, 2012 only hours after she was last seen alive. Police said the 19-year-old and her roommate had gone to a local nightclub called The Thrill the previous night.
The FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit says they believe the killer knew Hedgepeth, possibly lived near her in the past, and may have made comments about her to close associates, WRAL reports. The killer's behavior may have changed after her death, such as an unusual interest in the case or a change in performance at work or school.
Investigators said the North Carolina State Crime Lab found DNA left in the apartment by an unidentified man, WRAL reports. They didn't disclose where the DNA was found, but they expressed confidence that it would lead them to Hedgepeth's killer.
According to WRAL, police have not named any suspects.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Chapel Hill Police Department tip line at 919-614-6363 or Crime Stoppers at 919-942-7515 or email information to investigators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More on Crimesider
September 26, 2012 - Faith Danielle Hedgepeth: Scholarship fundraiser being held in honor of slain UNC student
September 11, 2012 - Faith Hedgepeth, UNC student, found dead in her apartment
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call