Iowa man released from prison, arrested 2 days later for mother's murder
Kirk Levin, 21, was initially arrested Thursday on charges linked to a kidnapping case. While authorities were investigating the kidnapping report, they found Marilyn Scott, Levin's mother, stabbed to death in her farmhouse near Early, 100 miles northwest of Des Moines, CBS affiliate KCCI reports.
Police initially got involved on Jan. 3 after a 21-year-old woman reported that Levin assaulted her and told her he was kidnapping her after showing up at her home Thursday morning asking for a ride, KCCI reports.
Sheriff Ken McClure told KCCI that the woman managed to get away and get help. Levin was later found hiding in a nearby barn.
Levin was released New Year's Day from a prison in Mount Pleasant after serving a little more than two years of a five-year sentence for third-degree burglary, Iowa Department of Corrections spokesman Fred Scaletta said, according to KCCI.
Levin is now back behind bars in the Sac County Jail on charges including first-degree murder, assault with intent to commit sexual assault, and third-degree kidnapping.
Bond for Levin was set at $1 million Tuesday morning, The Fort Dodge Messenger newspaper reports.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife