Natasha Stewart, Tenn. woman, charged in connection to Mississippi buttocks implant death, authorities say
(CBS/AP) JACKSON, Miss. - A second person now faces charges of murdering a Georgia woman who died in March of 2012 from an illegal buttocks implant in Mississippi, authorities said Monday.
The Mississippi attorney general's office said that 39-year-old Natasha Stewart of Memphis, Tenn., was arrested Thursday, according to a news release. Stewart, who also goes by the name "Pebbles," was indicted on charges of murder, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit murder and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. She waived extradition and will be returned to Mississippi.
Morris Garner, who also goes by the name Tracey Lynn Garner, was previously charged with depraved-heart murder in the death of 37-year-old Karima Gordon of Atlanta. Depraved-heart murder is a legal term for an action that demonstrates a "callous disregard for human life" and results in death. It carries a life sentence.
Garner is accused of performing the illegal procedure at his house in Jackson, Miss. Investigators said the silicone-like substance that was injected into Gordon caused blood clots in her lungs and killed her.
Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood said Garner had no training or license to perform the implant procedure.
Hood said earlier in the investigation that Gordon, who served in the military and wanted to become a model, found Garner after meeting someone on the Internet known to authorities at that time only as "Pebbles." Gordon met the woman in person in New York City and paid her $200 for the referral to Garner.
Gordon drove to Mississippi with a friend to have the procedure but became ill a few hours later. Her friend called Garner and asked what to do, and he told them to buy some cough medicine, authorities said. Gordon died at a Georgia hospital a few days later.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home