Tulsa Shooting Spree: Prosecutors to seek death penalty for Jake England and Alvin Watts in assault on blacks
England, 20, and Watts, 33, are charged with first-degree murder in the killings of William Allen, Bobby Clark and Dannaer Fields, who were shot over Easter weekend as they walked near their homes. The two suspects are due to be arraigned Wednesday in district court. They also face hate-crime charges.
The shootings happened in a predominantly black section of Tulsa - not far from where one of the nation's worst race riots happened more than 90 years ago - and all five victims were black.
Authorities have said England may have targeted black people because he wanted to avenge the death of his father, who was shot by a black man in 2010. But England, who describes himself as Cherokee Indian, has said he has no ill will towards black people.
At a hearing in July, England's uncle Timothy Hoey testified that England and Watts treated the mass shootings as a contest. Hoey said Watts told him a day after the killings that Watts and England each shot two people and England shot the fifth victim "that would break the tie," Hoey said.
Hoey also testified that the day after the shootings, England used racial slurs to describe the people they shot.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case