Ariz. woman accidentally shoots, kills brother while posing for pictures on New Year's Eve
Manual Ortiz died after being shot by his sister, identified by various media reports as Savannah Ramirez, at an apartment in Phoenix around 6 a.m. Monday, CBS affiliate KPHO reports.
According to the station, Ortiz and his sister had arrived at the apartment after a party at another location and began playing with a handgun, according to Sgt. Steve Martos of the Phoenix Police Department.
The pair were posing for photographs with the gun when it discharged and Ortiz was struck by the bullet, Martos reportedly said. There were three other people in the apartment, one of whom witnessed the shooting. The other two people were in a different room.
According to KPHO, Martos says the 19-year-old was questioned and released pending further investigation and test results. However, according to ABC, Martos said that if toxicology results show that Ortiz's sister was intoxicated at the time of the accident, she would likely be charged with manslaughter.
"Every New Year's Eve this sister will be thinking about this the rest of her life," Martos said, according to KPHO.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias' lawyers tried to quit, judge wouldn't let them
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case