Jodi Arias trial begins in macabre '08 murder of boyfriend Travis Alexander
On June 4, 2008, Alexander was found dead in a shower in his Mesa home. He had been shot in the face, his throat was slit from ear to ea, and he'd been stabbed 27 times.
Arias originally told police two people had broken into the house, murdering Alexander and attacking her, but she later changed her story to claim she killed Alexander in self-defense. Prosecutors argue the actions were those of a jealous woman who brutally attacked the 30-year-old Alexander after he tried to end their relationship.
Police said they found potentially damning evidence during their investigation, according to CBS affiliate KPHO. A camera was found in a washing machine, an obvious attempt to erase images of the pair, they said. There were also time-stamped photos allegedly showing Alexander's lifeless body just seconds after risque images showing the two naked together in his home.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, and Arias could become the fourth female on Arizona's death row if she is convicted.
Attorneys will present opening statements on Wednesday, KPHO reports.
More on Crimesider
June 23, 2009 - 48 Hours: Camera Captures Forbidden Romance And Murder
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case