Suspect arrested in Sacramento New Year's Eve shooting that left 2 dead, police say
(CBS/AP) SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A suspect is under arrest in connection with a New Year's Eve shooting that left two dead at a bar in the Old Sacramento area, police said Tuesday.
The 22-year-old was among three people wounded Monday evening after a shooting that occurred as people gathered to watch fireworks to celebrate the New Year, authorities said.
The suspect's injuries, as well as those to a security guard and a 30-year-old woman, are not life threatening.
Police say the incident started as an argument inside the bar at about 9:38 p.m. that escalated and became a physical confrontation. When an employee tried to break up the fight, he was shot, as were the woman and another man.
That man, 35, and the employee, who was in his 20s, died at the scene after suffering multiple gunshot wounds.
Authorities say an armed guard near a side door at the bar heard the gunshots and got into a gunfight with the suspect. Both were wounded.
The armed suspect ran out of the bar toward a street crowded with holiday revelers but was caught quickly by officers chasing him, police said.
Police are not identifying the suspect because of the ongoing investigation.
After the shooting, police canceled the midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people.
More on Crimesider
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles