Brian Koontz, North Carolina man, charged with theft of 100 meteorites, report says
(CBS/AP) BREVARD, N.C. - A North Carolina man was charged Saturday night with the theft of 100 meteorites from a science education center. Police are still searching for a second suspect.
Brian Koontz, 29, is being held at Transylvania County jail on charges of breaking and entering, larceny and injury to personal property, the Asheville Citizen-Times reported.
Video surveillance shows two thieves breaking into the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute near Rosman around 3 a.m. on Christmas Eve. The thieves allegedly took meteorites that were on loan to the institute, in addition to taking television monitors, overhead video projectors, a microscope and other scientific instruments.
Sheriff's detective Wade Abram says most of the stolen items were recovered from one of the suspect's homes.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles