Foster child, 8, unwraps donated gift, finds teddy bear and gun
(CBS) NEW YORK - On Christmas morning in Harlem, an 8-year-old child with her foster mom unwrapped a donated gift and discovered a teddy bear - and a pistol - in the same package, CBS New York reports.
Was someone sending a message about the right to arm bears?
"She had a teddy bear in there and then she was waving around this gun and I was just shocked," the foster mother, Sheba Anderson told CBS New York on Thursday.
The station met with the girl, Natasha, who said when she saw the gun she wasn't scared; she thought it was a toy.
"It looked like a start gun, you know, [a] starter pistol," Manhattan gun expert Charlie Hu told the station.
The kind of gun used to start a foot race - designed to fire blanks but nonetheless dangerous in the hands of a child, Hu said.
The armed teddy was one of several gifts Anderson reportedly picked up at St. Anthony's Church in SoHo a week ago Thursday.
In a statement, a spokesman for the Administration for Children's Services said they are "investigating how and why an inoperable weapon was discovered in a foster home. We are concerned when any potential risk in a foster home comes to our attention, and are working to ensure that all of the children in the home remain safe."
Police said the revolver was empty. CBS New York reached out to the Edwin Gould Services for Children and Families to find out who donated the bear, but did not hear back.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial