Fla. woman arrested after child, 9, eats crack cocaine
(CBS/AP) SPRING HILL, Fla. - A north Florida woman faces child abuse charges after a 9-year-old child in her care got sick from eating a piece of crack cocaine, sheriff's officials say.
Hernando County Fire Rescue officials responded to Kimberly Losurdo's Spring Hill home Thursday after she called police because the child began having convulsions.
The Tampa Tribune reports the child was taken to a hospital where blood tests revealed crack cocaine in the bloodstream.
The paper says the child ate an "irregular shaped, rock-like" substance on Christmas Day. The child's condition started deteriorating shortly after.
According to the paper, Losurdo, 45, told deputies the child had been at the residence for five to seven days. She said the child probably found the crack and thought it was candy.
The Department of Children and Families has taken custody of the 9-year-old. The Tampa Tribune reports an 11-year-old and a 16-year-old were also removed from the house.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family