Fla. woman arrested after child, 9, eats crack cocaine
(CBS/AP) SPRING HILL, Fla. - A north Florida woman faces child abuse charges after a 9-year-old child in her care got sick from eating a piece of crack cocaine, sheriff's officials say.
Hernando County Fire Rescue officials responded to Kimberly Losurdo's Spring Hill home Thursday after she called police because the child began having convulsions.
The Tampa Tribune reports the child was taken to a hospital where blood tests revealed crack cocaine in the bloodstream.
The paper says the child ate an "irregular shaped, rock-like" substance on Christmas Day. The child's condition started deteriorating shortly after.
According to the paper, Losurdo, 45, told deputies the child had been at the residence for five to seven days. She said the child probably found the crack and thought it was candy.
The Department of Children and Families has taken custody of the 9-year-old. The Tampa Tribune reports an 11-year-old and a 16-year-old were also removed from the house.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point