Aston Barth Update: Car linked to ex-con Long Island murder suspect set on fire
(CBS/AP) CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. - Police say a vehicle linked to Aston Barth, an ex-convict suspected of murdering his Long Island neighbor, was set on fire in front of Barth's home on Wednesday.
Suffolk County police say the fire occurred two days after Barth allegedly choked Jason Campbell, his 35-year-old neighbor.
Police reportedly found a gas can on the front lawn of Barth's home after being called to the scene around 5:50 p.m. Wednesday. The fire is being investigated as arson.
According to Newsday, police declined to say who owned the Ford Explorer but said Barth has been known to drive it.
Barth was arrested on Monday and charged with second-degree murder in connection with Campbell's slaying.
Authorities say Campbell's body was found hidden in Barth's bedroom closet.
Barth has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case