Police officer, bystander killed in Houston shootout
The officer, with a police department from the Houston enclave of Bellaire, died at a hospital, Cannon said. He did not release the names of the officer or the bystander.
Cannon said the incident began just before 9 a.m. when the officer tired to pull over the suspect's vehicle. The driver instead sped away and the officer chased after him.
"During the pursuit apparently the suspect's vehicle struck a white pick-up truck," Cannon said.
After the crash, the officer approached the vehicle and the suspect opened fire. The officer fired back. The bystander who was killed worked in a body shop near where the shooting took place, Cannon said. According to CBS affiliate KHOU, he was struck by the suspect's bullets.
Other police officers captured the suspect, who was also shot, Cannon said. He was taken to a hospital where he was in critical condition.
The Houston Police Department and the Harris County District Attorney's office are investigating, Cannon said.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student