Dalton Williams, South Dakota teen, allegedly shot to death by friend after paintball argument
(CBS/AP) SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A 16-year-old boy allegedly shot and killed his friend after the pair argued over a paintball game at the boy's home in South Dakota, according to an arrest affidavit released Wednesday.
The victim, Dalton Williams, 16, was found lying in the entryway of the accused shooter's house around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday with a shotgun wound to the chest. Paramedics rushed the high school sophomore to a nearby hospital, but he later died.
The accused shooter was arrested at the home on a first-degree murder charge and was being held Wednesday in Hughes County, Pierre Police Chief Bob Grandpre said.
The local prosecutor said the teen is being charged as an adult, but he has not yet been arraigned or indicted.
The boys were classmates at Riggs High School.
A 16-year-old witness who was hanging out with the boys told detectives that Williams and the other boy began to wrestle around jokingly after arguing about a paintball game.
The accused shooter then retrieved a semi-automatic shotgun, walked into the kitchen area and pointed it at the witness, according to the arrest affidavit.
The witness said he heard the gun click, then saw the accused shooter take a shotgun shell from a drawer, load the gun and point it at him again. The witness said he then heard another click, according to the affidavit.
The witness told police he was trying to leave the house through a sliding glass door when Williams stepped in between him and the accused shooter. The witness told detectives that the gun fired and he observed a splatter, according to the affidavit.
The witness then left the house and called 911.
Grandpre said law enforcement, Pierre School District personnel and mental health professionals are providing support to the school and community.
"We're continuing the investigation to make sure we understand everything that we believe happened inside the house," he said Wednesday.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers