N.J. bar hired girl, 17, to strip, served her alcohol to "loosen her up," police say
Officials with the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control went to Park Place Bar and Grill in National Park in February 2011 and saw the 17-year-old being served alcohol by bartender Melissa Armstrong, CBS Philly reports.
While being questioned, Armstrong reportedly told investigators that her bosses, Donald Rossiter Sr., and his son Donald Rossiter Jr., of West Deptford, directed her to give the teenager as much alcohol as she wanted to "loosen her up" because she was hired to strip and socialize with patrons.
Armstrong reportedly told investigators that the teen had been drinking mixed drinks that night, including Long Island Iced Tea and Bay Breeze cocktails.
Rossiter Jr., is a part owner of the bar and employs his father in a management capacity, the station reports. Rossiter Sr., Jr., and Armstrong were all arrested and charged with serving alcohol to an underage person.
The teen was also charged with drinking alcohol underage and was released into her father's custody.
"This was an egregious abuse of the privilege to sell alcohol. The potential for illegal activity resulting from serving alcoholic beverages to a 17-year-old girl may have been averted only by the presence of ABC [Alcoholic Beverage Control] personnel," Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control Director Michael Halfacre told CBS Philly.
Halfacre said this case was particularly troubling because "the licensee used alcohol to exploit a minor for financial gain."
While at the bar, ABC detectives also arrested and charged two underage patrons for drinking inside the bar.
CBS Philly reports that Park Place Bar and Grill also admitted they had been purchasing alcohol from a nearby liquor store for sale at their establishment, which is also a violation of ABC law.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family