Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey Update: Mother of dead girl, 8, says police are eyeing specific people
But Heather Collins, the mother of Elizabeth, told CBS affiliate KCCI that police are looking at specific people.
Blackhawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben didn't go nearly as far in a phone interview Monday afternoon, according to the station.
"We haven't aimed in on any one specific person or gender or anything like that," Abben said.
Elizabeth Collins was 8-years-old and her cousin Lyric Cook was 10 when they disappeared on July 13 in the northeast Iowa community of Evansdale.
"I can't imagine somebody hurting someone, let alone a child," Heather Collins said.
A hunter discovered the cousins' bodies Dec. 5 near a park about 25 miles from their homes.
"...They (police) are looking for some people, but they can't give us the exact, because they don't want to leak anything out. But there are people they are looking at," Collins told KCCI.Due to a lack of evidence, chief deputy Abben reportedly said they can't even come up with a profile of the killer.
The state medical examiner has not released an official cause of death for the cousins.. It could take weeks before that information is known, the station says.
"We don't want to know how they were murdered. We don't want to know any details," Heather Collins told KCCI. "We just want to know when they got the person... that's it."
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple