After Sandy Hook massacre, Texas gun store owner reportedly offers discount to teachers
(CBS) - Days after the massacre at a Connecticut elementary school, a Texas gun store owner is offering teachers a discount toward the purchase of a concealed handgun license, CBS DFW reports.
"Our normal rate is $110.00, so I would give them a rate of $90.00," said Crocket Keller, of Kellers Riverside Gun Store near Austin. "If they are teachers, we would be more than happy to do that."
CBS DFW reports that Keller says he believes that educators should be allowed to be armed on school grounds.
"We need to start thinking out of the box and deal with this violent culture," Keller said. "We need to lobby our various state governments to allow teachers to be armed."
But Gayle Fallon of the American Federation of Teachers disagrees.
"I knew this would come up at some point, there would be people who think the answer is to put guns on campus. Frankly I think it's absurd," Fallon told CBS DFW.
"In a lot of cases, the perpetrator is a kid. Look at Columbine, it was a 14-year-old kid. You tell me a teacher is going to look in the eyes of a 14-year-old and pull the trigger - it's not in their emotional make up."
Fallon said she believes in having more police officers on campus and tightening restrictions on guns. But Keller said that's not enough.
"Our personal safety is our responsibility, unfortunately the police and the military cannot be everywhere," said Keller. "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison