Former Pa. police chief arrested, dies after being tased
The encounter followed an alleged altercation involving ex-chief Darryl Briston, his estranged wife, and her male companion, the station said.
It started Friday around 11:30p.m. at the Meadows Racetrack in Washington County, where police say Briston saw his ex with another man at the casino.
Briston approached them and punched the man in the face, according to the police report.
Casino security intervened and requested backup from State Police Gaming officers and local police.
Briston fled the scene and made it at least one-quarter mile before police caught up with him, CBS Pittsburgh reports. Police say Briston resisted their attempts to restrain him and would not follow commands to place his hands behind his back. They say Briston was warned if he did not comply, he would be tased.
When Briston failed to cooperate, police say he was tased in the "upper right leg" one time for two seconds, the station says.
After that, police say Briston complied and was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.
Some time after that, he started to complain that the cuffs were too tight and later said he was having trouble breathing.
Police called an ambulance. Briston went into cardiac arrest.
The former police chief was then taken to Canonsburg General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Washington County Coroner Tim Warco issued a report Saturday stating that "there were no signs of any external or internal trauma." Complete autopsy results were pending.
In 2009, Briston was also arrested for allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend, but a judge dismissed the charges on grounds there was not enough evidence, CBS Pittsburgh reports.
Briston had been fired as police chief in 2003 after being convicted of stealing more than $5,000, the station says.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison