Nine cats found dead in Mass. city, likely swung by tails, tortured say cops
(CBS) LAWRENCE, Mass. - Over the past few weeks police in the city of Lawrence, about 25 miles north of Boston, have found nine dead cats that appear to have been tortured, CBS Boston reports.
PICTURES: Horrible crimes against animals
Robin Halpin of the MSPCA, a non-profit organization which protects animals, tells CBS Boston that veterinarians believe the cats may have been swung by their tails and thrown onto a hard surface.
The MSPCA is offering a $1,000 reward for information about the cat killings.
"We don't know exactly what's going on but it's an especially distressing case," Halpin told the station. "Whoever is doing this is not only doing something that is especially cruel, but doing it at a high volume. We have nine cats now. So the chief of police is very worried, and we are very worried."
No arrests have been made in the case.
"There have been no leads at this point. That is why it's important to get the word out," Halpin said.
Animal cruelty is a felony in Massachusetts punishable with up to five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship