Kansas Cop Shooting: Suspect in deadly shooting of two police officers is killed in raid of home
(CBS/AP) TOPEKA, Kan. - A suspect in the Sunday killing of two police officers outside a grocery store in Topeka has died, police say.
Cpl. David Gogian, 50, and Officer Jeff Atherly, 29, arrived at the market to investigate a report of a suspicious vehicle, when a gunman opened fire from inside the car at around 6 p.m. Sunday.
Police Chief Ronald Miller said the man shot both officers in the head.
Following a tip, authorities surrounded a nearby house where a 22-year-old suspect was holed up early Monday and, after negotiations failed, Kansas Bureau of Investigation agents fired tear gas inside. The Shawnee County sheriff's office, which is leading the investigation, said the man emerged from the home with a gun and officers opened fire.
The suspect, whom police have not named, was declared dead at a hospital. The sheriff's office said it's not clear whether the man fired at officers.
Police Chief Ronald Miller said the suspect had a criminal record but he didn't elaborate. He said he didn't know why the suspect fired on the police officers in the incident outside a grocery store.
"I don't believe they (the police officers) had any idea this situation was going to go this direction as quickly as it did," Miller told reporters at a Sunday news conference.
According to CBS affiliate WIBW, police previously identified the suspected shooter as 22-year-old David Edward Tiscareno.
A third officer at the scene was not hurt and other people in the vehicle at the time of the shootings are not considered suspects, Miller said.
Officials released few details about the shootings and haven't said why the vehicle was considered suspicious or other details about the shooting.
Gogian had served with the police since September 2004 and had an adult son who's also a Topeka police officer. Atherly joined the department in April 2011.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple