Jack Culolias Update: Body found in river near where ASU student was last seen, police say
The recovered body was wearing only one red shoe and CBS previously reported that another red shoe was found at an embankment near the Tempe Town Lake. At the time, the missing teen's mother said she recognized it immediately.
Officials confirmed the red shoe found on the body matched the one found on the shore near where the body was found, KPHO reports.
The Maricopa County Medial Examiner's Office is currently working to confirm the identity of the body and the results could be available as early as Monday afternoon, authorities said.
Culolias, 19, was last seen Nov. 30 after witnesses said he was kicked out of a bar at Tempe Marketplace for being drunk during a fraternity party.
"He was a really awesome guy," Cole DeForest, a friend of Culolias, told KPHO. "He always had a smile on his face. He was really friendly, [a] really good guy in general."
The discovery of the body came after police received a call Sunday morning reporting a possible body in the river. Upon arrival, officers confirmed it appeared a dead person was in the water, the station says.
"It does not appear that there is any foul play in this at all," Sgt. Michael Pooley of the Tempe Police Department said. "It looks like it was just a tragic accident."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death