Kansas Cop Shooting: Two officers fatally shot outside grocery store, authorities say
(CBS/AP) TOPEKA, Kan. - Kansas authorities said two police officers were shot to death Sunday outside a grocery store in Topeka while responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle.
Topeka Police Chief Ronald Miller said Cpl. David Gogian, 50, and Officer Jeff Atherly, 29, were both shot in the head by a gunman who opened fire on them within minutes of their arrival to investigate the vehicle.
Authorities surrounded a nearby house early Monday where a 22-year-old suspect was believed to be hiding. Police Chief Ronald Miller said the suspect had a criminal record but he didn't elaborate. He said he didn't know why the suspect fired on the police officers in the incident outside a grocery store.
Gogian and Atherly were taken to a hospital and later pronounced dead. A third officer who went to the scene to check on the vehicle was not injured in the shooting.
Police said they received a call about the vehicle shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday. Gogian and Atherly arrived as backup for another officer when someone in the vehicle started shooting. The chief declined to say why officers were investigating the vehicle and why it was considered suspicious.
"I don't believe they had any idea this situation was going to go this direction as quickly as it did," Miller said.
Miller said there was more than one person in the vehicle, which later was found outside a house about 10 blocks from the grocery store. Officers searched the home but didn't find the shooting suspect.
Gogian started with the Topeka Police Department in September 2004. Atherly was with the department since April 2011.
Miller said Gogian was a retired military serviceman and has a son who's also a Topeka police officer.
"He had spent his life in service to his country and in the city of Topeka," the chief said.
Meanwhile, Atherly was "just getting started" in his career, he said.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released