Man allegedly fires 50 shots outside Calif. mall, no one killed
(CBS) NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - A man was arrested Saturday night after allegedly firing as many as 50 shots into the air in a crowded parking lot outside a Southern California mall, reports CBS Los Angeles.
Marcos Sarinana Gurrola, 42, was arrested standing near his vehicle, which he reportedly lives in.
The incident was first reported around 4:30 p.m. outside Fashion Island mall. Police said no one was struck, but one shopper suffered minor injuries while fleeing the area.
CBS Los Angeles reports that witness accounts said the suspect was in the parking lot outside of Macy's when he allegedly fired approximately 50 rounds from his handgun into the air.
The mall was packed with thousands of people at the time. Many of them hid in dressing rooms, bathrooms and behind locked doors at various storefronts.
"I was thinking about what happened yesterday [Friday]. That's the first thing that came to my head. I thought 'Oh my God. I have my son with me.' I didn't want him to have to be a part of that," Hanaa Escatel told CBS Los Angeles.
"First time in my life, I've ever seen kids and adults with that sheer terror on their face," said Matt Lundin, a Nordstrom employee. "All they heard was 'shooter' and 'run'."
Gurrola was taken into custody and booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"