Connecticut School Shooting Update: At least one child dead after elementary school shooting
PICTURES: Conn. elementary school shooting
CBS News Correspondent John Miller says preliminary and unconfirmed information is that the Connecticut school shooter was the father of a student.
One gunman is also dead at the scene. CBS Connecticut reports that it is not known whether the shooter, who reportedly had two handguns, took his own life or was killed. It is also unclear if there was more than one shooter in the incident at the K-4th grade school.
A dispatcher at the Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps says a teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School has been shot in the foot and taken to a local hospital.
The school superintendent's office says the district has locked down schools to ensure the safety of students and staff.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops