John McAfee Update: Guatemala releases software founder, who boards flight to U.S.
The escort to the airport marked the next chapter in McAfee's strange, month-long odyssey to avoid police questioning about a killing in neighboring Belize.
"McAfee entered the country illegally," immigration service spokesman Fernando Lucero said. "Guatemala is expelling him. Since his country of origin is the United States, Guatemala is expelling him to the United States."
McAfee was detained last week for immigration violations after he sneaked into Guatemala from neighboring Belize, where authorities sought to question him about the murder of a neighbor, Gregory Viany Faull, another American expatriate.
During his highly publicized flight from police, McAfee constantly blogged and spoke with reporters about his life on the run.
Upon his arrival at the airport McAfee said, "I'm free. I'm going to America."
He suggested his weeklong detention in Guatemala for entering the country clandestinely had taken its toll on him.
"All I can tell you is I'm 10 years older, and I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just going to Miami," he said.
His 20-year-old Belizean girlfriend who has accompanied him since he went on the run was not with him on the ride to the airport. She was last seen early Wednesday leaving the detention facility crying, after bringing McAfee breakfast.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case