Couple ran dog fighting ring in house with five kids, say Pa. cops
Santiago and Acampora are being held on a series of charges that include endangering the welfare of children because, according to authorities, they were raising five children in their rented home while dog fighting was going on in the basement.
All the children are now in the custody of other family members, CBS Philly says.
Chester County DA Tom Hogan says the case first came to light after several dead pit bulls were found in the county over the past couple of months. Investigators say that is a sure sign of a dog fighting ring operating nearby, because the losing dogs usually end up dead.
Officials connected the case to Santiago, whose name initially surfaced in a drug investigation in Coatesville, when Santiago and Acampora were being evicted from their home in West Brandywine.
According to CBS Philly, police say they entered the couple's home and found a "house of horrors" that included blood-caked walls and carpets, a noose that had been used to hang a dog that had bitten one of the children, and electrical wires used to execute losing dogs.
Santiago and Acampora were scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday on a long list of charges stemming from the arrest.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles