Oregon Mall Shooting: Gunman allegedly opens fire, killing two, then self
(CBS) CLACKAMAS, Ore. - A gunman opened fire in an Oregon shopping mall Tuesday afternoon leaving two dead before dying of what police believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports CBS affiliate KOIN.
Lt. James Rhodes, a spokesperson with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, confirmed the adult male shooter, along with two other victims, were killed.
The shooting that took place at the Clackamas Town Center Tuesday afternoon.
KOIN reports that an 18-year-old woman who hospital officials said sustained one gunshot wound was transported by air to a nearby hospital. At last report she was in serious condition.
Investigators reportedly believe the gunman acted alone.
The sheriff's office released no details about the suspect's identity or a possible motive. He also did not confirm what kind of weapon the man was carrying.
Dispatchers with the Clackamas County Department of Communications said the shooting was first reported at 3:30 p.m. Witnesses told KOIN the gunman, who appeared to be wearing a Halloween-style mask, entered the mall through a rear entrance at the Macy's store on the north side of the mall.
Witnesses inside the mall reported hearing as many as 15 to 20 gunshots or more. The shopping center was put on lockdown and three triage areas have been set up near the mall's movie theater.
"At first no one really knew what was going down," said Mario, who works at a kiosk inside the mall. "We heard six shots at first, and then people scattered like crazy, everybody left."
"The shots were really loud and really scary... It was echoing all through the mall, so nobody knew where it was coming from at first," witness Larisa Tereahova said.
People began to be let out of the mall at approximately 5 p.m.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths