Two suspects sought in brutal beating of Baltimore bus driver, report says
(CBS) - Police are searching for two suspects in the brutal beating of a Baltimore city bus driver last Thursday, CBS Baltimore reports.
Maryland Transit Authority (MTA) officials said the driver, who remains unidentified, was beaten so severely he was rushed to a hospital with major injuries to his face.
"A man and woman on the coach began striking one of the operators, injured to the point he required hospitalization," said MTA spokesman Terry Owens.
CBS Baltimore reported that the assault started with a verbal altercation. Investigators are searching for new leads to track down the suspects.
Meanwhile, union officials said similar attacks across the U.S. are raising concerns over driver safety.
"It's like an all-out attack on operators and something needs to be done," said David McClure, presiden of the union that represents MTA drivers.
McClure said the union wants undercover officers on buses and tougher laws to prevent assailants from getting away with their crimes.
Owens said the MTA has now added audio recordings on top of video recordings to all buses.
"These are tools that can help us safeguard our passengers and employees," he said.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family